Didn’t find the item you were looking for in the catalog? Interlibrary Loan (ILL) may be for you.
What is Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
Interlibrary Loans are items that the Olathe Public Library borrows from another library (outside of the Olathe/Johnson County System) on your behalf. Items are placed on hold for you and checked out to you similarly to other library materials with a few small differences.
Things to know about ILL
- When your ILL is ready for pick-up, it will be behind the counter and not with your regular holds. A staff member will need to check it out for you.
- It takes 2 to 6 weeks for your item to arrive. Items may be traveling across the country for you! We will notify you when it arrives.
- The owning library sets the due date. While they normally give you about 3 weeks, checkout periods vary.
- You cannot renew an ILL.
- Your ILL will have a blue tag on the front it with a barcode and the due date. Please don’t remove it because that’s how we track it.
- There may be a nominal fee. Don’t worry. We will try all free sources first and if the only option for borrowing is fee based, we will let you know before we borrow the item for you.
- Overdue fines and charges for lost or damaged materials still apply. However, because the item does not belong to us, at 60 days overdue, we will pay the owning library for the item and will be unable to issue a refund.
What types of items can I request through ILL?
You can request books, DVDs, CDs, audiobooks, census records, microfilm, dissertations and theses, photocopies of journal articles and even cake pans through ILL.
What does ILL not cover?
- Items owned by Olathe Public Library or Johnson County (You don’t need to use ILL for these)
- Items published or released in the last 6 months
(We may still be in the process of acquiring this item)
- Complete issues of periodicals or newspapers
- Books in reference or special collections
- Video games
If you are comfortable searching for items on your own, you can use WorldCat to search for items and place your request. WorldCat, short for World Catalog, works similarly to Olathe Public Library’s catalog, except that its catalog scope is global.
If you’d prefer us to do the searching, tell us what you are looking for by submitting a Book/Media Request Form.
Steps for Using WorldCat
Use the search boxes to search for your item by Keyword, Author, Title, ISBN and/or Year.
Within your search results you can refine by format, content and audience if needed.
To borrow an item, click on the title. Then click the ILL button.
Fill out your contact information and click submit.
You will get a notification if we are unable to fulfill your request. It may take 2 to 6 weeks for your item to arrive.
I’m doing academic research. How can I request a journal article?
Please submit the Photocopy Request Form. Requests will be fulfilled within the constraints of U.S. Copyright Law. Photocopies may cost a nominal fee. All photocopies are yours to keep.
I believe this item should be in the Olathe Public Library’s collection. How can I suggest that the library purchase it?
You can suggest an item for purchase here.
Are there any limits for ILL?
Yes. Each cardholder may have a total of 15 items currently checked out or on request at a time. In addition, cardholders must have an account in good standing with a verified address.