There is a limit of 15 active requests per customer at one time. In addition, requests for materials published within the last six months will not be accepted. For more information, please read the information posted below.
Find the item in WorldCat (FirstSearch) and make a request by clicking on "Borrow this item (ILL)" (recommended) or submit the form below. If you would like to suggest an item for the library to consider purchasing, please fill out the Suggestion for Purchase Form.
Interlibrary Loan is a service provided by the Olathe Public Library to obtain materials not found in the library catalog. The Olathe Public Library has the ability to borrow items from other libraries nationwide on behalf of customers.
Who may use the Interlibrary Loan service?
Interlibrary Loan Services is provided to any Olathe Public/Johnson County Library customer whose card is in good standing. Customers whose addresses are unverified may not use the service until their address has been verified.
The following is a list of materials that may be obtained for customers.
- Books, including large print
- Dissertations and theses
- Audiobooks (CD or cassettee)
- DVDs or VHS tapes
- Music CDs
- Census records and newspapers on microfilm
- Photocopies (Obtained within the constraints of US copyright law)
The following is a list of materials that may not be obtained through Interlibrary Loan.
- Items the Olathe Public/Johnson County Library Systems owns
- Complete issues of periodicals or newspapers
- Books contained in the Olathe Public/Johnson County Library reference section
- Books contained in special collections
- New items the Olathe Public/Johnson County Library System is purchasing
- Materials needed in less than two weeks
- Newly published items (those published in the last 6 months)
- Video games
- The Interlibrary loan department will check all free sources first. If the cost to obtain an item exceeds the amount specified by the customer, the Interlibrary loan department will contact the customer for approval before proceeding. Once the item has been received, the customer will be responsible for the costs. The charges will be posted to the customer’s record.
- There is a limit of 15 active requests per customer. Please note there will be a short delay when the customer returns the ILL item to the library and when it is returned to the owning library. The customer should make sure to keep all paperwork with the item to help expedite the return process.
- The Interlibrary loan department will accept customer requests through OCLC, and online ILL forms. Phone call requests are accepted through Customer Services and Children’s Services.
Customers will be charged a fee of $.15/page, or the amount charged by the lending institution, whichever is greater. If the cost to obtain an item exceeds the amount specified by the customer, the interlibrary loan department will contact the customer for approval before proceeding. Once the item has been received, the customer will be responsible for the costs. The charges will be added to the customer’s record.
- Loan periods are determined by the lending institution, but will not exceed 4 weeks.
- Interlibrary loan items cannot be renewed.
- Photocopies are kept by the customer.
Interlibrary loan materials are provided as a courtesy from another library. To preserve our borrowing privileges with other libraries, charges are assessed for late, damaged, and lost materials.
In addition to the overdue notices generated by the automated library system, the Interlibrary loan department will send two letters at 15 and 45 days overdue.
At 60 days overdue, the Olathe Public Library will pay the lending institution for the item and it will no longer be possible to accept the book or issue a refund to the customer.
- Notification will be made by email or phone depending on what method was chosen when the card was created.
- Photocopies will be mailed to your postal address, faxed, or emailed based on preference selected and the format the photocopy is received.
- You will be notified by mail or email if the library is unable to obtain the item or if the request cannot be filled after a thorough search.